Cards & Accounts
Scroll down for information about:
- Library cards
- Loan periods and late fees
- Checking your account
- Renewing materials
- Placing holds
- Lost library materials
- You may check out up to 50 items on your card.
- Materials may be returned to any branch of Siouxland Libraries.
- If you have lost items or owe more than $10.00 in fees, you will need to resolve these before you can check out more materials.
- Accounts with over $50.00 in fees will be sent to collections and charged a collections fee.
Who may get a library card?
- Cards are free to anyone owning or renting property within the city limits of Sioux Falls, or in Minnehaha County excluding the city of Dell Rapids.
- No minimum age. Children under 18 may get a card as long as a parent or guardian accepts responsibility for the child’s use of the library.
- Any institution, business, or school located within the city limits of Sioux Falls or in Minnehaha County, excluding the city of Dell Rapids.
- Nonresidents may purchase a library card for 3 months ($17) or for 12 months ($63).
- Replacement library cards are $1.00.
Bring photo identification and proof of address at the time of application.
Change of Information: Notify the library of any changes to your name, address, email, or phone number. To update your email address or change your PIN online, log in to My Account and select "My Record" from the "My Account" menu.
Library Card Expiration
- To find out when your card expires, log in to My Account and select "My Record" from the "My Account" menu.
- To renew your library card, visit any Siouxland Libraries branch. Bring your library card and a photo I.D. All fees will need to be paid before your card is renewed.
- If your card will expire soon, you will not be able to do online renewals; call the Library at 367-8700 to renew your materials.
- If your card has expired, you will not be able to check out library materials, log in to My Account, use the Internet computers in the Library, or download eBooks and audiobooks.
Confidentiality: Your library record is private and information contained in the record cannot be given out to anyone other than the library cardholder. Staff may ask for a picture ID for verification.
Call 367-8700 for questions about library cards.
Loan periods and late fees
Avoid late fees by returning materials on time. To receive email reminders 3 days before materials are due, contact your local branch.
|Loan Period||Renew||Late Fee Per Day||Maximum Late Fee|
|New DVDs||3 days||Yes||$1.00||$10.00|
|Rapid Reads||7 days||No||$1.00||$10.00|
|Book Club to Go||8 weeks||No||$1.00||$10.00|
|Board games||7 days||No||$1.00||$10.00|
|All other material||3 weeks||Yes||25¢||$5.00|
The library sends out notifications for holds and overdue materials. Notices are sent by email, phone, TXT message, or mail. If you want to change how you are notified, let us know the next time you visit the library, or change your notification method online:
- Log in to My Account and enter your barcode and password.
- Click on "My Record" from the "My Account" menu.
- Click Contact Information and Preferences.
- Change your contact information and preferences as needed.
- Click "Submit Change Request" button.
Check your account
You can check your account 24 hours a day.
• Call 367-7340.
• You will need your library card number.
• Find out what you have checked out, when items are due, what fees you owe, and what you have on hold.
• Renew items.
• Go to My Account and enter your barcode and password.
• Find out what you have checked out, when items are due, what fees you owe, and what requests you have made.
• Renew items.
• Change your profile information.
Pay Your Fines
To pay your fines, either visit your local library branch or log in to your account and pay using a credit card, debit card, or PayPal account.
Renew library materials
Three days before an item is due, Siouxland Libraries automatically renews eligible items and notifies customers by text or email. Most library materials may be renewed three times. Exceptions are Rapid Reads and anything with a hold. If you wish to renew items earlier, follow the steps below:
- Go to My Account and enter your barcode and password.
- Select "Items Out" from the "My Account" menu.
- Select item(s) to renew.
- Click "Renew Selected Items" button.
- Watch the screen for messages that renewal was successful.
If you have late fees over $10 or lost items, those must be paid before renewing.
If Siouxland Libraries owns the item you want, you may place a hold on it. This will reserve it for you when it is returned to the library. When the item is available, you will receive a notice telling you that you can pick it up at the branch library you select.
You will need your Siouxland Libraries library card and the barcode number on the back.
To place a hold online:
- Go to the Library Catalog and search for what you want.
- Click the "Place Request" button.
- To request a specific copy (for example, of a magazine) click on the icon in front of the issue you want.
- Enter your library barcode number and password and click on "Log In."
- Select the location where you want to pick up the item.
- Click on "Submit Request."
If holds are not allowed on the item, you will get a message telling you requests are not permitted.
To place a hold by phone:
Call 367-8720 or any Siouxland Libraries branch.
To place a hold in person:
Ask at the desk of any Siouxland Libraries branch.
To suspend a hold until later:
- Go to My Account and select "Requests" from the "My Account" menu.
- Click the box beside the title(s) you want to suspend.
- Click the "Suspend/Reactivate" button at the bottom.
- Enter the new date when you want the item.
- Click "Submit."
Lost library materials
Customers returning lost library materials within 90 days of the item being declared lost will be reimbursed for replacement costs. We are unable to provide reimbursement after 90 days. Late fees will be deducted before the refund is processed.