Cards & Accounts
Get a library card today!
It's your passport to a world of knowledge! Your card gives you free access to print materials, as well as eBooks, eAudiobooks, learning resources, and other streaming material, 24/7 right from home.
Who may get a library card?
- Cards are free to anyone owning or renting property within the city limits of Sioux Falls, or in Minnehaha County excluding the city of Dell Rapids.
- No minimum age. Children under 18 may get a card as long as a parent or guardian accepts responsibility for the child’s use of the library.
- Any institution, business, or school located within the city limits of Sioux Falls or in Minnehaha County, excluding the city of Dell Rapids.
- Nonresidents may purchase a library card for 3 months ($17) or for 12 months ($63).
- Any student attending school in Sioux Falls or Minnehaha County (excluding the city of Dell Rapids) who does not already have a library account can get a Student Success Card.
Bring photo identification and proof of address at the time of application.
How registering online work?
- Complete the online form.
- Write down your temporary barcode (it will start with PACREG) and remember the PIN you have set up.
- Use your temporary barcode for immediate access, and library staff will be in touch soon with your remaining account details.
- You will receive your physical library card in the mail at your home address.
If you have a card, but forgot your PIN, you can go to the Account Login screen and click the "Forgot Your Password?" link.
If you have questions about electronic resources or need help with your account, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 367-8700 weekdays between 9am and 5pm.Your card gives you access to:
- eBooks, eAudiobooks, and other streaming content
- Free learning content and resources
- For the kids
- The Siouxland Libraries app: iOS | Android
- Click here for a full listing of electronic resources.
- You may check out up to 50 items on your card.
- Materials may be returned to any branch of Siouxland Libraries.
- If you have lost items or owe more than $10.00 in fees, you will need to resolve these before you can check out more materials.
- Accounts with over $50.00 in fees will be sent to collections and charged a collections fee.
Change of Information: Notify the library of any changes to your name, address, email, or phone number. To update your email address or change your PIN online, log in to My Account and select "My Record" from the "My Account" menu.
Library Card Expiration
- To find out when your card expires, log in to My Account and select "My Record" from the "My Account" menu.
- To renew your library card, visit any Siouxland Libraries branch. Bring your library card and a photo I.D. All fees will need to be paid before your card is renewed.
- If your card will expire soon, you will not be able to do online renewals; call the Library at 367-8700 to renew your materials.
- If your card has expired, you will not be able to check out library materials, log in to My Account, use the Internet computers in the Library, or download eBooks and audiobooks.
Confidentiality: Your library record is private and information contained in the record cannot be given out to anyone other than the library cardholder. Staff may ask for a picture ID for verification.
Call 367-8700 for questions about library cards.
Loan periods and late fees
We no longer charge late fees for items. If items are lost, there will be a charge to replace the item.
The library sends out notifications for holds and overdue materials. Notices are sent by email, phone, TXT message, or mail. If you want to change how you are notified, let us know the next time you visit the library, or change your notification method online:
- Log in to My Account and enter your barcode and password.
- Click on "My Record" from the "My Account" menu.
- Click Contact Information and Preferences.
- Change your contact information and preferences as needed.
- Click "Submit Change Request" button.
Check your account
You can check your account 24 hours a day.
• Call 367-7340.
• You will need your library card number.
• Find out what you have checked out, when items are due, what fees you owe, and what you have on hold.
• Renew items.
• Go to My Account and enter your barcode and password.
• Find out what you have checked out, when items are due, what fees you owe, and what requests you have made.
• Renew items.
• Change your profile information.
Renew library materials
Three days before an item is due, Siouxland Libraries automatically renews eligible items and notifies customers by text or email. Most library materials may be renewed three times. Exceptions are Rapid Reads and anything with a hold. If you wish to renew items earlier, follow the steps below:
- Go to My Account and enter your barcode and password.
- Select "Items Out" from the "My Account" menu.
- Select item(s) to renew.
- Click "Renew Selected Items" button.
- Watch the screen for messages that renewal was successful.
If you have fees over $10 or lost items, those must be paid before renewing.
If Siouxland Libraries owns the item you want, you may place a hold on it. This will reserve it for you when it is returned to the library. When the item is available, you will receive a notice telling you that you can pick it up at the branch library you select. You can place up to 40 items on hold at a time.
You will need your Siouxland Libraries library card and the barcode number on the back.
To place a hold online:
- Go to the Library Catalog and search for what you want.
- Click the "Place Request" button.
- To request a specific copy (for example, of a magazine) click on the icon in front of the issue you want.
- Enter your library barcode number and password and click on "Log In."
- Select the location where you want to pick up the item.
- Click on "Submit Request."
If holds are not allowed on the item, you will get a message telling you requests are not permitted.
To place a hold by phone:
Call 367-8700 or any Siouxland Libraries branch.
To place a hold in person:
Ask at the desk of any Siouxland Libraries branch.
To suspend a hold until later:
- Go to My Account and select "Requests" from the "My Account" menu.
- Click the box beside the title(s) you want to suspend.
- Click the "Suspend/Reactivate" button at the bottom.
- Enter the new date when you want the item.
- Click "Submit."
Lost library materials and paying your fines
Customers returning lost library materials within one year of the item being declared lost will be reimbursed for replacement costs. We are unable to provide reimbursement after one year. To pay your fines, either visit your local library branch or log in to your account and pay using a credit card, debit card, or PayPal account.