Cards & Accounts
Get a library card today!
It's your passport to a world of knowledge! Your card gives you free access to print materials, as well as eBooks, eAudiobooks, learning resources, and other streaming material, 24/7 right from home.
Who may get a library card?
- Full-access cards are free to individuals who provide proof of owning or renting physical property within the city limits of Sioux Falls, or in Minnehaha County excluding the city of Dell Rapids. P.O. Boxes and RVs do not qualify as physical property.
- Proof of residency includes government-issued photo identification and documentation that one resides at, owns, or rents a physical residence or business within the required area.
- No minimum age. Children under 18 may get a card as long as a parent or guardian accepts responsibility for the child’s use of the library. Teens age 16 and 17 may get a card with a valid driver's license.
- Any institution, business, or school located within the city limits of Sioux Falls or in Minnehaha County, excluding the city of Dell Rapids.
- Nonresidents may purchase a library membership for 3 months ($17) or for 12 months ($63). This cost covers all immediate family members living at the residence.
- Any student attending school in Sioux Falls or Minnehaha County (excluding the city of Dell Rapids) who does not already have a library account can get a Student Success Card.
Bring photo identification and proof of address at the time of application.
Please note: Online applications for library cards can be filled out by those 16 years old or older who possess valid, government-issue identification. Parents may apply for full-access cards for their children in person at a library location. Student Success card applications must also be submitted in person at a library location.
- Complete the online form.
- Write down your temporary barcode (it will start with PACREG) and remember the PIN you have set up.
- Use your temporary barcode for immediate access, and library staff will be in touch soon with your remaining account details.
- You will receive your physical library card in the mail at your home address.
If you have a card, but forgot your PIN, you can go to the Account Login screen and click the "Forgot Your Password?" link.
If you have questions about electronic resources or need help with your account, email us at email@example.com or call 605-367-8700 weekdays between 9am and 5pm.Your card gives you access to:
- eBooks, eAudiobooks, and other streaming content
- Free learning content and resources
- For the kids
- The Siouxland Libraries app: iOS | Android
- Click here for a full listing of electronic resources.
- You may check out up to 50 items on your card.
- Materials may be returned to any branch of Siouxland Libraries.
- If you have lost items or owe more than $10.00 in fees, you will need to resolve these before you can check out more materials.
- Accounts with over $50.00 in fees will be sent to collections and charged a collections fee.
Change of Information: Notify the library of any changes to your name or address. To change your PIN number, click log in and click "I forgot my PIN." Follow the instructions and make sure that the new PIN you choose is exactly four digits long. To update your email address, phone number, or home library location, log in to your account using the link in the upper-right corner. Click on your name and choose "Profile." Click "Edit Profile." Update your information and click "Save."
Library Card Expiration
- To find out when your card expires, log in to your account using the link in the upper-right corner and click on your name. Your card expiration date will appear above the "Sign Out" button.
- To renew your library card, visit any Siouxland Libraries branch. Bring your library card and a photo I.D. All fees will need to be paid before your card is renewed.
- If your card will expire soon, you will not be able to do online renewals; call the Library at 605-367-8700 to renew your materials.
- If your card has expired, you will not be able to check out or renew library materials, log in to your account, or download eBooks and audiobooks.
Confidentiality: Your library record is private and information contained in the record cannot be given out to anyone other than the library cardholder. Staff may ask for a picture ID for verification.
Call 605-367-8700 for questions about library cards.
Loan periods and late fees
We no longer charge late fees for items. If items are lost, there will be a charge to replace the item.
The library sends out notifications for holds and overdue materials. Notices are sent by email, TXT message, or mail. If you want to change how you are notified, let us know the next time you visit the library, or call 605-367-8700.
Check your account
You can check your account 24 hours a day.
• Go to log in in the upper-right corner and enter your barcode and password.
• Find out what you have checked out, when items are due, what fees you owe, and what requests you have made.
• Renew items.
• Change your profile information.
Renew library materials
Three days before an item is due, Siouxland Libraries automatically renews eligible items and notifies customers by text or email. Most library materials may be renewed three times. Exceptions are Rapid Reads and anything with a hold. If you wish to renew items earlier, follow the steps below:
- Log in using the link in the upper-right corner and enter your barcode and password.
- Click on your name.
- Click on the number of items you have checked out.
- Find the item you would like to renew.
- Click the "Renew" button next to the item.
- Watch the screen for messages that renewal was successful.
If you have fees over $10 or lost items, those must be paid before renewing.
If Siouxland Libraries owns the item you want, you may place a hold on it. This will reserve it for you when it is returned to the library. When the item is available, you will receive a notice telling you that you can pick it up at the branch library you select. You can place up to 40 items on hold at a time.
You will need your Siouxland Libraries library card and the barcode number on the back.
To place a hold online:
- Go to the Library Catalog and search for what you want.
- Click the "Place Hold" button.
- To request a specific copy (for example, of a magazine) click on the "Edition Information" and choose "Place Hold."
- Follow the "Log In" prompt.
- Select the specific copy that you would like.
- Choose a pickup location.
- Click on "Confirm Location."
If holds are not allowed on the item, you will get a message telling you requests are not permitted.
To place a hold by phone:
Call 605-367-8700 or any Siouxland Libraries branch.
To place a hold in person:
Ask at the desk of any Siouxland Libraries branch.
To suspend a hold until later or cancel a hold:
- Log in and click on your name.
- Click on the number of requests that you have.
- Find the item you would like to suspend.
- Click on the arrow next to "Cancel." Choose "Freeze" to suspend until later or "Cancel Hold" to remove your name from the hold list.
- If you choose "Freeze," you will still be in line for the item but it will not come in for you until you choose to reactivate it or one year from the date that you froze your hold.
- To reactivate a frozen hold, follow the same steps as above, but click "Unfreeze" instead.
- To place a hold on an item again once you have canceled it, search for it in the catalog and place a new hold on the item. You will be placed at the back of the holds list again.
Lost library materials and paying your fines
Customers returning lost library materials within six months of the item being declared lost will be reimbursed for replacement costs. We are unable to provide reimbursement after six months. To pay your fines, either visit your local library branch or log in to your account, click on "Fines/Fees", and pay using a credit card, debit card, or PayPal account.