Interlibrary Loan allows library cardholders to borrow materials from libraries around the country. You can borrow books, media (DVDs, music CDs, audiobooks, cassettes, or videotapes), or obtain photocopies of magazine articles using our online system, ILLiad.
- You can have up to 5 active requests, including items currently checked out.
- It usually takes 1 to 3 weeks to get your items.
- We try to obtain items from libraries that do not charge a fee. If your item is only available from a library that charges a fee, we will contact you to get your approval. Any costs will be passed on to you.
Check with a staff member before requesting these items on interlibrary loan:
- Reference books (Seldom sent on loan.)
- Genealogy books (If loaned, they may be restricted to in-library use. Many libraries are willing to photocopy pages at no charge. If you have a family name or citation, use the article request form to request a photocopy.)
- Newspapers (State historical societies often charge a fee that must be prepaid.)
- Microfilm (State historical societies often charge a fee that must be prepaid.)
Items we cannot get on interlibrary loan:
- Items released within the last year.
- Items owned or on order by Siouxland Libraries.
- Items in ebook or eaudio formats.
Place a request:
Use either the WorldCat or FirstSearch database to search for a title, then select the “Interlibrary Loan This Title” link to go to the ILLiad login screen. First-time users will need to create an account using their 14-digit library card number and 4-digit PIN. Once you are logged into ILLiad, the information from World Cat should be automatically filled in on the request form.
Alternatively, you may place a request directly from ILLiad by logging in and using the Book or Article link under “New Requests,” then filling in the information yourself. If placing a physical item (e.g., books or media items) on hold, be sure to use the Book Request form.
Check the status of your request:
To check the status of your request, log into ILLiad.
Select “Outstanding Requests” under the View heading on the ILLiad Main Menu screen. If you have questions about interlibrary loans, call 367-8700.