If Siouxland Libraries owns the item you want, you may place a hold on it. This process reserves the item for you when it is returned to the library. When the item is available, you will receive a notice telling you that you can pick it up at the branch library you select. You can place up to 40 items on hold at a time.
You will need your Siouxland Libraries library card and the barcode number on the back.
To place a hold:
- Go to the Library Catalog or app and search for what you want.
- Click the "Place Hold" button.
- To request a specific copy (for example, of a magazine) click on the "Edition Information" and choose "Place Hold."
- If not already logged in, follow the "Log In" prompt.
- Select the specific copy that you would like.
- Choose a pickup location.
- Click on "Confirm Location."
If holds are not allowed on the item, you will get a message telling you requests are not permitted.
To place a hold by phone:
- Call 605-367-8700 or any Siouxland Libraries branch.
To place a hold in person:
- Ask any Siouxland Libraries staff member.
To suspend a hold until later or cancel a hold:
- Log in and click on your name.
- Click on the number of requests that you have.
- Find the item you would like to suspend.
- Click on the arrow next to "Cancel." Choose "Freeze" to suspend until later or "Cancel Hold" to remove your name from the hold list.
If you choose "Freeze," you will still be in line for the item, but it will not come in for you until you choose to reactivate it (or one year from the date that you originally froze your hold.)
To reactivate a frozen hold, follow the same steps as above, but click "Unfreeze" instead.
To place a hold on an item again once you have canceled it, search for it in the catalog and place a new hold on the item. You will be placed at the bottom of the holds list.