Why Sioux Falls PD
What We Are Looking For / What Makes a Good Candidate
Our community is diverse in its population as is our Police Department. We are comprised of officers from a variety of races, religions, genders, and backgrounds. Many of our officers have worked in other career fields such as education, sales, marketing, military, healthcare, and many more. Most importantly is that our officers have the heart of a servant and are coachable. So no matter where you’re from or what kind of work you may have done in the past, we need you!
Working as a Police Officer is not just a job; it is also a lifestyle adjustment. We recognize that in order to have a sustainable, healthy, and successful career, it takes the support of friends and family. That’s why the Sioux Falls Police Department is committed to supporting a robust mentoring program for new officers and those closest to them.
From day one we involve new officers, and those important to them, with support and guidance through the use of personal mentors assigned to both the officer and those supporters in their lives. Classes will be held throughout training in order to keep the officer and their families fully involved in the training process. The SFPD is a family and we are always looking to grow!
We believe the best way to experience what the SFPD has to offer is by participating in a police ridealong. Qualified applicants who have passed the interview phase of the hiring process are encouraged to spend a shift with one of our outstanding Police Training Officers. This experience will provide real-world understanding of work load, shift work, and the incredible impact our officers have on the community. Set up your ridealong!
City of Sioux Falls Full Time Employee Benefits:
- Starting Salary: $61,360 annually
- Health Insurance: Competitive rates for single, 2 party and family. Eligible on 31st day of employment.
- Dental insurance: Competitive rates for single, 2 party and family. Eligible on 31st day of employment.
- Lifetime Pension Benefit upon retirement: South Dakota Retirement System. Vested after three years. Public Safety: 8% employee contribution with 8% employer match. Member Handbook
- Life Insurance: Employer provides minimum of 1X annual salary
- Accidental Death and Dismemberment: - Employer provides minimum of 1X annual salary
- Vacation: 40 hours of vacation and 16 hours of personal leave upon hire, with two additional weeks earned in the first year of service.
- Military leave: Strong supporter of enlisted employees. For details, see the FOP Contract, Article 9
- 11 paid holidays each calendar year
- Sick Leave: 3.7 hours accrued bi-weekly, unlimited accruals
- Public Safety Down Payment Assistance. Available to sworn officers.
- Employee Assistance Program: Employee and immediate family
- Flexible Spending Accounts: For qualified medical and dependent care expenses
- Tobacco Free Campus
- Sworn on first day
- Paid Academy training - LET paid on top of starting wage
- Uniform allowance and equipment provided by department
- No residency requirement
- Reciprocity testing for eligible recruits
- Over 20 specialty units including: Canine, SWAT, CAP, ICAC, training
- Commitment to community policing
- Fitness Incentive Testing (FIT) Program: Potential to earn 8 hours administrative leave annually
- Nearly all patrol shifts are 10 hours.