Seasonal Leaf and Branch Drop-Off Sites Open Saturday
The City of Sioux Falls will open two branch and leaf drop-off sites on Saturday, September 23. The sites are free for residents to use and will be open until Sunday, November 26.
The two sites are located at Lyon Boulevard south of the W.H. Lyon Fairgrounds, and Chambers Street west of the City’s Household Hazardous Waste Facility. Hours of operation for both sites are from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Mondays through Saturdays and 12 noon to 5 p.m. on Sundays.
The sites are intended for residential use only, and cars, pickups, full-size SUVs, vans, and two-wheel trailers are accepted. Lawn service companies and commercial businesses will not be accepted and must go directly to the Sioux Falls Regional Sanitary Landfill.
Branches and leaves must be placed in separate piles. Leaves must be removed from plastic bags. All loads must be tarped or in an enclosed vehicle. Pumpkins are also accepted, and residents are encouraged to dispose of them at the drop-off sites versus discarding them in the trash. Plastic bags, stumps, rubble, and household garbage are not accepted.
“The City’s seasonal drop-off sites are very popular with residents and especially appreciated during the times of year when people are working on their yards,” said Josh Peterson, the City’s Environmental Services Manager. “For the City, this helps us divert materials and save valuable airspace, which ultimately extends the Landfill’s lifespan, while helping keep Sioux Falls clean and beautiful.”
With both the spring and fall branch and leaf drop-off sites, the City diverts an average of 5,000 tons of yard waste from the Landfill each year, which saves money and Landfill airspace. Leaves deposited at the drop-off site are composted at the Landfill. Compost is available for free for residents to pick up year-round.
Additional reminders for the Landfill:
- Residents who have not used their free Landfill pass have until December 31, 2023, to use this year’s pass. After 2023, passes will reset on January 1 each year. Residents can now scan their driver’s license or state ID to redeem the free pass. Visit the Landfill’s website for details.
- Christmas tree drop-off sites will be open from Tuesday, December 26, 2023, through Sunday, January 7, 2024.
- The Landfill is open 7:30 a.m. to 5 p.m., Monday through Saturday, and closed on Sundays.
- The Landfill no longer observes special hours for Daylight Savings.
Landfill holiday schedule:
- Native American Day—Monday, October 9—open normal hours
- Veterans Day—Friday, November 10—open normal hours
- Thanksgiving Day—Thursday, November 23—closed
- Christmas Day—Monday, December 25—closed
- New Year’s Day—Monday, January 1—closed
For general information regarding the Landfill, including rates and materials accepted, visit siouxfalls.org/landfill.