Independence Day Celebration Schedule of Activities and Parking Details
Celebrate our nation on Tuesday, July 4, 2023, at the Independence Day Celebration in downtown Sioux Falls. This event will feature a free lunch for the first 3,000 attendees, live music and entertainment at the Levitt at the Falls, a 5K fun run/walk starting at Fawick Park, and a parade down Phillips Avenue, starting at 13th Street and ending at Sixth Street.
The event schedule for the celebration includes:
- 7:30 a.m.—Fun run/walk check-in for registered participants at Fawick Park. Registration is closed, but additional participants can still participate but will not receive a T-shirt. No pets allowed.
- 8 a.m.—Fun run/walk begins at Fawick Park.
- 10 a.m.—Parade will begin at 13th Street and will travel down Phillips Avenue to Sixth Street. Online registration is closed; however, walk-up entries will be accepted at the corner of 11th Street and First Avenue beginning at 8:15 a.m.
- 11 a.m.—Picnic with a free lunch (all-beef hot dog, chips, and water) will be served for the first 3,000 people in attendance at the Levitt Shell.
- 11 a.m.—Municipal Band will perform a concert at the Levitt Shell.
- 12 noon—Mogen’s Heroes will perform at the Levitt Shell.
Please be advised of street closures for the parade. The parade will begin at 10 a.m. near 13th Street and Phillips Avenue and will travel down Phillips Avenue to Sixth Street. Phillips Avenue will close at 9:40 a.m. Residents are encouraged to use downtown parking ramps.
Several blocks of First Avenue, 12th Street, and 13th Street will close at 8:15 a.m. on Tuesday, July 4, for parade staging. Phillips Avenue will close at approximately 9:40 a.m., and all east/west streets from 13th Street to Sixth Street will also be closed at Phillips Avenue during this timeframe. Streets will reopen when the parade is finished, around 11 a.m. Those traveling east/west through downtown on July 4 should use 14th Street. Phillips Avenue from Seventh Street to Fifth Street will remain closed until 2 p.m. ADA parking will be available at the City parking lot at the corner of Eighth Street and Phillips Avenue.
For more information about all of the day’s festivities, including maps of the parade route and available parking, go to visit www.siouxfalls.org/july4.