Top Priority Is Always Public Safety: City Announces Saturday Closings and Cancellations
Sioux Falls will experience inclement weather starting tonight, and the most dangerous conditions will be experienced on Saturday, April 14, 2018. Heavy snowfall combined with high winds will create low visibility and slippery roads. In an effort to keep the public safe, a number of cancellations and closings will take place. Here is what the public needs to know.
- Plows will focus only on emergency snow routes until after the storm has passed.
- Sioux Area Metro buses will run only on emergency snow routes on Saturday, April 14. Buses may be running behind, and bus services could cease entirely if roads become impassible.
- A no travel advisory is very possible and will be determined after street and visibility conditions are evaluated.
- The Sioux Falls Regional Sanitary Landfill will be closed on Saturday, April 14.
- The Midco® Aquatic Center will be closed on Saturday, April 14. Saturday’s scheduled swimming lessons are cancelled.
- All 13 branches of Siouxland Libraries will be closed on Saturday, April 14. Saturday’s scheduled activities are cancelled.
- The Household Hazardous Waste Facility and Reuse Room will be closed on Saturday, April 14.
- Next week’s Project NICE/KEEP for targeted neighborhoods will be delayed until Tuesday, April 17. Residents in the selected neighborhoods are asked to not place their discarded items at the curbside until Sunday afternoon.
“Please be weather aware as we enter the weekend. If you do not have to travel on Saturday, please stay home. Do not risk your family’s safety or the safety of others for unnecessary travel,” says Police Chief Matt Burns.
Follow @CitySiouxFalls, @SiouxFallsPD, and @SiouxFallsFire on Twitter for the latest updates.